Friday, July 11, 2008

For No Good Reason At All

I like Shakespeare. This pisses people off. I find this both extremely amusing and slightly confusing. I get that most people are only exposed to Shakespeare when it's forced down their throats in school so of coarse they hate it. The part that I don't get is why it bothers them that I'm down with it. Seriously I'm not being pretentious I just enjoy it. When I start quoting it at you then I'm being pretentious. I love theatre and literature and history and the amazing fun that is the English language so it's rite up my alley.

Sometimes fiction (plays, books, movies) create a world that is so close to real that you almost feel like you're there. I don't know if everyone feels that way sometimes but this is one thing I got from my Dad. My Dad is the only man I know who is totally okay with crying at a movie. This is the man who taught me to love Shakespeare.

When the Baz Luhrmann version of Romeo and Juliet (with Leonardo DiCaprio and Claire Danes) came out on video I fell in love with it. Normally that's not one of my favorite plays, to cliche and I like happy endings, but it really was well done. I thought my Dad would like it too so I suggested we watch it one day. We sat in the family room watching it together. The death scene comes and my Dad turns to me red faced with tears streaming down his face blowing his nose and asks accusingly, "Why didn't you warn me?!" Ummmm Dad it's Romeo and Juliet you know how it ends.

No comments: