Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Because of their size, parents may be difficult to discipline properly.-P. J. O'Rourke

Do you remember back in the day when you wanted to have a copy of a movie to watch at home and your only option was to record it off tv? Yeah you do, good. And do you further remember how back then the only way to record something without the commercials was to run up to the VCR and hit pause at the beginning of the break and then record again when the movie came back on? Okay good.


My Dad wanted to record The Music Man. There's a long and pointless back story as to why The Music Man is a big part of my family history going back for generations but I won't bore you with that part. The problem was The Music Man was airing on PBS...durring a pledge drive.

Do they still have pledge drives? Do I need to explain what a pledge drive is? Hmm, well for those who don't know a pledge drive is when they air a movie that should normally be about 2 hours long over the coarse of about 12 hours and interrupt it every 15 minutes or so to spend half an hour demanding that you send them money.

Do you know how my Dad got around this roadblock? Go ahead and guess, I'll wait. Do do do do do do dooooo(Jeopardy theme)


If you guessed tell 9 year old daughter that you'd "let" her stay up all night to record it you would be correct.

It wasn't until a couple years ago that I thought about it and said, "HEY!". But I still love that movie.

1 comment:

Schelle said...

and you have another great story to go along with all the other family history surrounding that movie. :)

on the same note, my dad use to let me come caddy for him when he played golf. he'd pay me $1 for every hole I hauled his bag around, but I had to pay him $1 for every hole I didn't...HEY!*

*Course, as a parent, it was probably to just keep me from coming along and bugging his game without doing what I commited to