Recently I've wound up in several conversations about man points. If you don't know what man points are let me explain. They are the credits for performing some task that determine whether someone is a man. For example you get man points for opening a jar your significant other couldn't get open.
Interestingly I Googled man points (because I'm like that) and all the hits I found were specifically points awarded by one man to another. That's all well and good but it doesn't matter how cool your friends think you are if the opposite sex doesn't think your a man.
Every woman I know has a few things they just feel the man should do (take out the garbage is one I hear a lot, although that one doesn't really bother me). There is no actual number you need to earn but you want to earn more positive points than you loose.
Note: There are woman points too. For example I earn some of mine by sowing buttons back on Dave's clothes when they fall off. You should have seen him the first time I did it, it was like I'd performed magic.
So here's a list of some of the things I think will earn/loose you points. Feel free to add your own. I love hearing other people's ideas.
Note 2: This list isn't for Dave's benefit. He already knows my criteria and lives up to them in every particular.
Things that will earn you man points (these are pretty much expected)
1. Barbecue. I know lots of women who do this but I'm not one of em. My Mom doesn't barbecue and neither do I. I'm sure my Dad would have taught me if I'd asked but I married Dave instead. Lets face it food you didn't cook always tastes better.
2. Changing a tire. Dave once got up at 4:30 am and changed my tire in the rain without complaining even once.
3. Chores that require power tools. Sure I could probably do these myself but it's like barbecuing. I really want you to do it.
Things that will loose you man points
1.Failing to defend your loved ones. I'm not saying you need to get yourself killed but if for example someone breaks in to your house and you run off and leave your wife, child, girlfriend, parent, sibling, roommate, or drunk friend sleeping on your couch to be hurt you loose every man point you've ever earned and go so far in the negative you will not be able to crawl out again. You'd be surprised how often this comes up when we're watching the news.
2. Not taking your share of the parent duties. Whether we're talking dead beat dad's or just that guy (we've all met) who consistently ignores his child to watch the game or go out with his buddies. Sorry you made a kid, like it or not what you want is no longer top priority. (Just to reiterate this is NOT Dave, he's a great Dad)
3. General poserness. You know that Offspring song Pretty Fly for a White Guy? Yeah that guy and others like him. Embrace who you are, if you're trying to hard to be what your not the best result you can hope for is that people will wait for you to be out of earshot before they laugh at you.