Thursday, June 5, 2008

Do you have a moment to talk about baby weight?

I had a very hard time letting go and allowing myself to gain weight when I was pregnant. I was a bit over weight in High School and worked really hard to get down in to the healthy weight range and stay there. These days they are recommending women gain 25-35 pounds during pregnancy. Around the 6 month mark my Doctor told me I was gaining too quickly (I'd already gained 35 pounds). I held it together until we got home then I climbed in bed and cried for a long time. I gained a total of 45 pounds by the time Fiona was born. I've been obsessed with loosing it ever since. As of last Saturday I've only got 12 pounds to go and I'm on track to be down to pre baby weight by September. Which means the 9 months up 9 months down rule seems to be accurate for me. Here's my point although people keep telling me I look good (Dave called me sexy just last night) I don't feel attractive. I know plenty of women who took quite a while to loose their baby weight (My sister in law told me it took her 2 years with her first) or wind up struggling the rest of their lives. I'm not sure why we put this pressure on ourselves and I don't know how to stop it but I know there are a lot of us out there and I just want to say, cut yourself some slack you made any entire human being that makes you pretty damn beautiful.

No comments: