Thursday, May 29, 2008

It seems to me that something is missing

I am frankly amazed at the complete lack of manners displayed by most people I come in contact with. No one seems to care who they offend they just say whatever is in their heads. Yes I understand that there are no safe words and offence is not always meant but everyone should be expected to think before they speak/act.

Here's an example (this happened to someone I know, not me) this person applied for a promotion within their company. The position was given to another applicant. These things happen however the welcome email for the new hire went out to the staff (including my associate) before they were told they were not getting the job. Come on this is just tacky.

Here's another one that happens all the time (again not to me but I've seen it several times recently). When a couple who are having a baby tell their family and friends the name they've picked people tell them how much they don't like it. Are you kidding me! Hello unless you helped make the baby you don't get a vote.

Here's one that actually did happen to me. At my brothers funeral all my family members kept hugging me and saying how sorry they were until I got to my aunt Jeenie (the rudest person alive) she held me at arms length and asked, "Did you dye your hair?". Okay #1 no that's my natural hair color and #2 I don't think you could have come up with something less appropriate to say if you tried. FYI: I just turned and walked away without answering which I suppose was also rude but I honestly couldn't think of a response.

It's called tact people! Look it up! Oh wait I did it for you.

Main Entry: tact
Pronunciation: \ˈtakt\
Function: noun
Etymology: French, sense of touch, from Latin tactus, from tangere to touch — more at tangent
Date: 1797

1 : sensitive mental or aesthetic perception

2 : a keen sense of what to do or say in order to maintain good relations with others or avoid offense

No comments: