Tuesday, December 13, 2011

The things I want to know are in books; my best friend is the man who'll get me a book I ain't read.-Abraham Lincoln

You know how sometimes on a Friday or Saturday night you rent some random movie just to have something to watch? (Or it could be a Tuesday, whatever) And most of the time when it's over you think, "Yeah that was pretty stupid." And then you move on with your life and don't think about it again.

I do that a lot.

But I also read. I love to read. If I don't have something to read I get grumpy. So I'm always looking for new books to read (you can only re read the ones you've got so many times ya know?). Unfortunately I have the same problem with books as I do with movies, most of them aren't very good. Out of every 20-25 book I read 1 will be good enough to keep around. That works out to 4 or 5 out of 100. Unlike movies I don't seem to be able to just move on. When I finish a book that isn't any good (oddly I rarely stop before I get to the end, it's like a car crash you can't look away from) I'm personally offended that the book did not entertain me. Perhaps this is because it takes longer to read books (Okay I might be able to read the whole Lord of the Rings faster than watching the directors cut of the movies but that's an exception) or because they cost more (though I buy a lot used) but mostly I think it's because I expect more of them.

To me movies are disposable books are meant to last.

No comments: