Wednesday, March 23, 2011

If I were invited to a dinner party with my characters, I wouldn't show up.-Dr. Seuss

Soooo you may not want to come over to my house for dinner...ever.

Since I'm at home all day I've become the primary dinner preparer. Any of you who've been around a while or know me in person will be aware that I'm...not much of a cook. I mean I don't serve "blackened" spaghetti sauce or anything. I can cook, just not very many things.

I can make three kinds of chicken, spaghetti, meatloaf, risotto, and...um...breakfast foods.

I know Dave gets bored. He doesn't complain or anything but after 13 years together I can read him pretty well. Also I take it as a clue when he doesn't eat what I make.

So I've been trying to expand my options. Looking up recipes on line. Trying new and different techniques and ingredients. I was even getting a little confident.

Last night I knew I was making chicken breast but once I started poking around I didn't have all the ingredients for any of the things I knew how to make. So I got creative combining different recipes. Dinner time came and I served chicken breast with mozzarella cheese (Parmesan or Asiago would be better but we didn't have any) and crumbled bacon and topped with a sauce made from butter, brandy, onions, broth, and cream. Sounds good hu? And it was too until I got halfway through the piece of chicken and noticed that it was still raw in the thickest part of the breast.

This is my first real fail at dinner. I just wish it wasn't a potential food poisoning situation. I've had salmonella poisoning before shudder.

3 comments:

LeeAnn said...

I went through a phase where my invented recipes were based on color schemes. Too bad I like blue, but hate blueberries.

Amy Baldwin said...

AAWWW Dani! I am no GREAT cook by any means, I have a few staples I KNOW how to cook and hardley ever experiment, kudos to you for being brave!! Chicken is hard to cook on the stove unless you cut it up small into even pieces.. One thing I make really good are chicken and steak fajitas. Super easy I will send you the recipe. send me something easy of yours too!!
I remember THROWING shit around the kitchen when I started to cook a few years bad after Lem and I moved in together!! I SUCKED!

Anonymous said...

I hope you haven't given yourself food poisoning!

On the flipside, well done for even experimenting! I know the basics around cooking and can cook my few standard meals really well, but I wouldn't ever dare experiment with foods unless I was absolute sure it would work out fine.

So I salute Dani!