Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Geting Old Sucks Cheese

Last week my Great Grandma Emma died. I wasn't actually related to Emma. My great grandparents were divorced which was quite scandalous at the time. My Great Grandpa met Emma in her home country of Mexico.

Note: I used to love telling people my Great Grandma was from Mexico.They always looked totally confused because I am the whitest white girl ever.

Emma owned a beauty salon and when I was a kid she was the person who cut my hair. When at six I decided to trim my own bangs she took one look at me and said, "Aye, aye, aye!" (a phrase which I have cheerfully used ever since).

When she got excited she'd lapse into Spanish without realising it. She was so happy when I tried to carry on a conversation with her after I started learning Spanish in school.

Every single time she called our house the conversation went exactly like this"

Emma: Hello Kelly guess who this is.

Me: Hi Grandma Emma!

Emma: How did you know?

Me: (Umm you're the only person with a Mexican accent who calls and says "Hello Kelly guess who this is?")I recognized your voice.

Emma: How big are you now? (meaning how old was I)

Me: I'm (insert age)

Emma: Can you imagine? (another phrase I use ALL THE TIME)

Emma and my Great Grandpa moved to Texas for his health when I was in my teens. I missed her long before now but I've lost the chance to say good bye. I love you Emma! Always did, always will.

4 comments:

Schelle said...

Love << Hugs >> and comfort.

It sucks to have the people you have a foundation with leave.

TK said...

I am sorry you lost your great grandmother. It is amazing how much grandparents can influence young lives. I never met my great grand parents but I have fond memories of my grandparents. Also, in the getting old sucks vein. My parents are thriving in Assisted living. Mother insisted on seeing her house so I took them back yesterday. Dad cried like a baby and mother just poked around looking at her stuff collection.

Ronin said...

I'm so sorry Dani =(. My heart goes out to you.

Unrelated: Thanks for the comments on my last post, that cheered me up.

Dani said...

Thanks everyone. We knew it was coming for a while but that doesn't make it easy.

TK- I'm glad their doing well. I can't wait to get down there and intorduce Fiona to them.

Ronin-It sounded like you needed some positive feed back. I'm glad it cheered you up. And I meant it.