Thursday, May 29, 2008

Peter O'Toole is freakin cool!

Unlike many of my peers I prefer older movies and/or music. Current pop culture just seems like a wast of time to me. This drives my sisters in law up the wall. Sorry, Britney can kiss my ass give me Bobby Darin or Robert Plant.

This morning I started watching Man of La Mancha and it occurred to me that I just love Peter O'Toole. I mean I knew he was a good actor (8 Oscar nominations & no wins what's up with that?) but I hadn't thought about how many things he's been in that I really enjoyed.

How to Steal a Million is probably one of my favorite movies. Audrey Hepburn is another person who I find to be a great addition to any film. It's a fun movie and just romantic enough to satisfy my occasional need for a chick flick.

The Lion in Winter has an all star cast including the other great Ms. Hepburn (Katherine) and a young Anthony Hopkins. Its a long movie but the story is so well told and the performances are so good that your riveted.

He was the only person in Troy I believed at all. It was a terrible movie which is too bad because there were a lot of great people in it who I normally admired and it was a classic story. It could have been done well but sadly was not. Peter O'Toole however stole every scene he was in.

I recently saw Stardust and really enjoyed it. Unfortunately this film didn't get much buzz so no one saw it. Mr. O'Toole's part in it was small but he was so good that it didn't occur to me that it was him he simply was his character.

High Spirits is probably the only movie Steve Gutenburg ever made that I didn't hate and that's entirely due to Peter O'Toole's performance. (Steve Gutenburg being the Rob Schneider of the 80's)

The man's just got charisma (and some stunning blue eyes). I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of Man of La Mancha because I know I'm in for a great performance even if I don't wind up liking the movie itself.

No comments: