Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Film's O' Vampires Day 3

#3 (You'd think it would rank higher) Dracula (1931)

Why? Well duh Bella Lugosi. Pretty much every actor who's played a vampire since has been borrowing from this performance. Poor Bella was typecast from then on but did he mind? Apparently not, he was buried in his cape.
Again a movie based on a novel I didn't really like. Let's face it Bram Stoker was a hack but he came up with one hell of a hook and to be fair the idea of narration from multiple perspectives was innovative at the time.

Of coarse there have been multiple remakes but the 1931 classic is still the best in my opinion. I wanted to like the 1992 Copola version, I mean it had a great director, quite a good cast, and I just kinda love Garry Oldman but it just didn't work for me and I'll tell you why. The screenplay was co-written by Fred Saberhagen who also wrote a series of novels about Dracula in which the vampire is the hero. Some of them are pretty good by the way. The problem with the screenplay is they tried to make the vampire both the antagonist and the protagonist and it doesn't work that way. You don't know if you're supposed to root for him or the humans. Personally I always root for the monster but that may just be me.

No comments: